Korea Gasa Literature Collection,the cradle of Gasa literature
●○ Scholars in Damyang wrote poems in Korean during the Mid-Joseon Dynasty when many poems were written in Chinese. Among them, Gasa literature drastically developed and produced fruitful results in the history of Korean literature. Thus, Damyang is called the ‘cradle of Gasa literature’. In order to preserve & hand down the cultural heritage, and to develop and inherit the modern form of Gasa literature, Damyang-gun has opened the Korea Gasa Literature Collection in 2000. In the collection, you can find various Gasa literature and relics including ‘Myungangjip’, ‘Bunjaeki’ written by Song Sun, and ‘Songgangjip’ written by Jung Chul with their autographs.
Location│877, Gasa Munhak-ro, Nam-myeon, Damyang-gun
Myeonangjeong Pavilion, the stage of philosophical view and generosity
●○ The pavilion was constructed in 1533 by Song Sun (1493~1582) when he became 40 years old and named it ‘Myeongangjeong’. It was then rebuilt in 1553 with the help of Oh Gyeom, the officer of Damyang. Through ten years of dreaming, a small cottage house is built One part is shaded whereas the other is under the bright moonlight It’s impossible for the cottage to embrace the beautiful scenery and thus, it shall be enjoyed through my eyes – from Song Sun’s poem
Location│382-11, Myeongangjeong-ro, Bongsan-myeon, Damyang-gun
Songgangjeong Pavilion, longing for a loved one
●○ In 1584 (17th year of King Seonjo’s reign), the poet Jeong Cheol (pen name, Songgang) who used to serve as an officer in Dangjaeng came down to Changpyeong. He repaired a pavilion Juknokjeong and called it ‘Songgangjeong’. He stayed there for 4 years and composed his famous Gasa poems ‘Samiingok’ and ‘Sokmiingok’ which expresses his longing for his beloved king Seonjo.
Location│232, Songgangjeong-ro, Goseo-myeon, Damyang-gun
Sigyeongjeong Pavilion where even the shadow of the moon can find a place to rest
● ○ Sigyeongjeong Pavilion is renowned for Jeong Cheol (pen name, Songgang) composing the beautiful poem ‘Seongsanbyeolgok’. The pavilion was built in 1560 by Kim Seong-won (pen name, Seohadang) as a memorial to his father-in-law, Im Eok-ryung (pen name, Seok Cheon). Seok Cheon depicts the scenic beauty of Sigyeongjeong pavilion in his poem, ‘Sigyeongjeonggi’: “A tiny pavilion stands firm on the hill beneath the green pine grove at the basin of the stream. Four pillars are situated at each corner and the center is empty. The roof is covered by reeds and seems to have wings made of bamboo shoots. It is shaped like a flowery ship embraced by curtains…”. In the pavilion, many scholars and writers exchanged their poems including Seok Cheon, Kim Seong-won (pen name, Seohadang), Ko Kyung-myeong (pen name, Jebong), Jeong Cheol (pen name, Songgang) and therefore, they were referred as ‘Saseon (four deities of Sigyeongjeong)’ and also named the pavilion ‘Saseonjeong (Pavilion of deities)’. A wanderer passes through and stayed in Seongsan and said to the owner of Seohadang Sigyeongjeon, would you listen to me There are lots of great things in the world But you seem to find a better place in this landscape And refuse to come out of the silent mountain – Abstract from Seongsanbyeolgok / Jeong Cheol
Location│859, Gasamunhak-ro, Nam-myeon, Damyang-gun
Hwanbyeokdang Pavilion embraced by greenery
●○ The area surrounding Hwanbyeokdang Pavilion is designated as a National Scenic Beauty and is located on the high hills of Jeungamcheon in Gwangjuho. The pavilion was built by Kim Yunjae (pen name, Sachon) who used to serve as a minister in Naju. When Eulsa Sahwa, a political conflict was raised, he came back to his home town, Chunghyo-ri. Hwanbyeokdang Pavillion is a detached house built behind his house where he spent the last years of his life training junior scholars. The pavilion is also famous as Jeong Cheol (pen name, Songgang) studied there for 10 years before areceiving his government position at the age of 27. On a hot summer day, Kim Yun-jae was taking a nap in the pavilion and dreamed about a dragon playing in the pond. He woke up and went to the pond and he saw a boy taking a bath in the pond. The boy was Jeong Cheol and that is where Kim Yun-jae first met Jeong Cheol.
Location│18-9, Hwanbyeokdang-gil, Buk-gu, Gwangju
Build a stone lantern of Shilla Kingdom, Gaeseonsa Temple Stone Lantern Hakseon-ri, Nam-myeon, Damyang-gun, Jeollanam-do, United Shilla Dynasty (A.D. 868), National Treasure No. 111, Total height 380cm
● ○ In Gaeseonsa temple of Damyang, there still remains one stone lantern. Just like other stone lanterns, it is structured with 8 windows on the pillar. The lantern is especially significant as it is the only stone lantern of the Shilla period with a revealed date of establishment. It is said that during the 9th year of the Chinese Tang Period, Great King Kyungmun, the 48th King of Shilla Dynasty, his wife Queen Muneui, and their eldest daughter had the lantern built as a prayer lantern. The stone lantern was built by a monk called ‘Youngpan’. The year of stone lantern’s establishment refers to the 8th year of Great King Kyungmun’s reign, in 868 A.D. With this information, it is clear that the people of Shilla Kingdom took great care of the lantern by sacrificing their property for prayer.
Location│593, Hakseon-ri, Nam-myeon, Damyang-gun
Mast of Damyang,Gaeksari Damyang Flagpole
●○ Damyang Flagpole (National Treasure No. 505) was established in the 5th year of King Heonjong (1839). People say that as the topography of Damyang is shaped like a ‘floating boat’, the flagpole acts as a mast of Damyang. Location│1360, Chuseong-ro, Damyang-eup, Damyang-gun
Damyang Namsan-ri Five-story Stone Pagoda, the Pagoda of Koryo which inherited the structure of Baekje Pagoda ● ○ ‘Damyang Namsan-ri Five-story Stone Pagoda (National Treasure No. 506)’ is the stone pagoda of Koryo Dynasty with the structure of Baekje stone pagoda. The height of the pagoda is 7m high and the remaining flagpole and stone pagoda enable us to assume that it may have been a huge site for a Buddhist temple. During the excavation between 2000 ~ 2013, roof tiles were found with ‘Damju (Riverside village)’ written on the tiles which refers to the old name of Damyang in the 6th year of Geondeok (A.D. 968).
Location│1400, Chuseong-ro, Damyang-eup, Damyang-gun
Ohryongri Standing Buddha Statue, the statue of grandpa Maitreya
●○ The statue is assumed to have been created after the Mid-Koryo period and stands about 3.5m high. It is called ‘Grandpa Maitreya’. As the statue is located on the street leading to Okgwa of Gokseong, it is also assumed that the statue was built for prayers for peace and good health of the people who passed through the street.
Location│38, Ohryongri-san, Mujeong-myeon, Damyang-gun
Eongoksaji Three-story Stone Pagoda, Buddha statue engraved on the 3-story stone pagoda
● ○ Eongoksaji is said to have been founded in the 6th year of King Seong of Baekje’s reign (A.D. 528). This three-story stone pagoda was built during the Koryo Period. Its special feature is the Buddha statue on the top of the pagoda.
Location│108-1, Bonganri-san, Mujeongmyeon, Damyang-gun
Yeondongsaji Three-story Stone Pagoda of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Standing Statue with the structure of Baekje pagoda
●○ It is written in the records that Lee Young-gan, a scholar in the period of King Munjongdae’s reign studied at Yeongdongsa when he was young. It was found that both the pagoda and Buddha’s statue were built during the Koryo period and the height of the statue is 2.7 m tall. It is made of granite, showing regional features after the Mid-Koryo period. The three-story pagoda is built with Baekje structure created in the late period of Koryo.
Location│93-1, Geumseongri-san, Geumseong-myeon, Damyang-gun
Yonghwasa, dreaming the world of Maitreya
● ○ Yonghwasa Temple is located in Namsan-ri, Damyang-eup which was first created for teaching Buddhism in 1934 with the name ‘Baekyangsa’. The name has been changed to Yonghwasa after Master Mukdam built the temple in its current site and prayed to save all mankind during the Japanese Colonial Era with the heart of Maitreya. The temple currently preserves ‘Buljoyeokdaetongjae’ (National Treature No. 737) which was passed down to Master Mukdam in 1896 and about 100 Buddhist scriptures written by Monk Yeondam Yuil about 250 years ago.
Location│ 77, Namchon-gil, Chuseong-ro, Damyang-eup, Damyang-gun
Yongchusa Temple built by Buddhist Master Soyo
● ○ Located under Yongchubong in Yongyeon-ri, Yong-myeon, Yongchusa is said to have been founded by two monks, Hyechong and Hyejeung, in A.D. 523. The temple was built by a Buddhist Master called Soyo Taeneung (1562~1649) after the Imjin War, but most of the structure disappeared during the Korean War. At the entrance of the temple, there are 7 statues of monks including the statue of Master Soyo.
Location│268-190, Yongso-gil, Yong-myeon, Damyang-gun
Yongheungsa Temple, the most precious treasure of Honam region
●○ Located in Yonggu-san, Yongheung-ri, Wolsan-myeon, Yongheungsa is said to have been founded in the 1st year of King Chimryu in Baekje (A.D. 384) by Marananta, an Indian Buddhist Monk. Many great Buddhist monks including Jinmuk, Soyo taught in the temple. The former name of the temple was ‘Mongseongsa’, named after the story about the concubine Sukbin, the mother of King Yeongjo, as she gave birth to the king after praying in the temple. Later, the name was changed to Yongheungsa.
Location│442, Yongheungsa-gil, Wolsan-myeon, Damyang-gun
Jukrimseowon Memorial Hall where junior scholars pursued their studies
● ○ Jukrimseowon was first established in the form of a teaching hall by Jo Su-mun (pen name, Jukrim/ 1494~?) which became the memorial hall where scholars pursued their studies and was managed by the family Jo from Changnyeong. It was demolished due to the declaration of Seowon abolition law in 1868 (5th year of King Gojong) but was restored in 1948.
Location│88-7, Jatjeong-gil, Goseo-myeon, Damyang-gun
Damyang Hyanggyo, the learning base in the old Damyang-hyeon
●○ It was a junior educational institution in Damyang-hyeon during the Joseon Dynasty period and it had been repeatedly repaired since its establishment in 1398 (7th year of King Taejo’s reign). In 1794 (18th year of King Jeongjo’s reign), the building was repaired again led by the officer Lee Heon-yu. In Daeseongjeon hall of the school, there are 28 shrines of sages who have been inscribed in ancestral tablets.
Location│17, Hyanggyo-gil, Damyang-eup, Damyang-gun
Changpyeong Hyanggyo, a base with old ginkgo trees where scholars pursued their studies
● ○ Changpyeong Hyanggyo is said to have been built in 1399 (1st year of King Jeongjong’s reign). Then, it was transferred to the current location in 1479 (10th year of King Seongjong’s reign). It was burnt down during the Imjin War. In 1689 (15th year of King Sukjong’s reign), it was restored. The ginkgo trees built on both sides of Myeongryundang are said to be over 480 years old which were planted while building the school.
Location│ 43-11, Gyochon-gil, Goseo-myeon, Damyang-gun
Sunam Hakgudang with preserved value of ‘learning’
● ○ Located in Bunhyang-ri of Goseo-myeon, Sunam Hakgudang was also called as ‘Changpyeong Hakgudang’. As the name shows, it was the place to foster junior scholars.
Location│ 38-75, Bonghwangro-gil, Goseo-myeon, Damyang-gun
Subuk Hakgudang, the cradle of fostering regional talents
● ○ It was a study hall built by 3 families (Jin, Nam and Park) from 1568 (1st year of King Seonjo’s reign) to 1608 (41st year of King Seonjo’s reign).
Location│ 50-40, Gangdong-gil, Subuk-myeon, Damyang-gun
Sangwoljeong, the base of modern education
● ○ Sangwoljeong is listed as the base of modern education in Korea. Go Jeong-joo (pen name, Chungang/1863~1933) built Younghaksuk study hall and fostered talents like Kim Seong-soo (pen name, Inchon), Song Jin-woo (pen name, Goha), and Kim Byeong-ro (pen name, Gain).
Location│ 142-1, Yongwoon-gil, Changpyeong-myeon, Damyang-gun